25.2.07

Blizzard!!

During the evening news on the teley, there was a story about a local currency in the southern Berkshires of Massachusettes. It was quite interesting and Peg commented that Phillips had a program similar to that. So, I did a Scroogle search and found a website dedicated to this local currency. Many European communities, living in the land of the Euro, use local currencies to benefit their local economies.

Anyway, back to Berkshares.... After perusing the Berkshare website, I decided to do a search for Chamber Bucks, a local exchange medium used in Phillips. I found this site in Mauston, Wi. I was beginning to realize that the Phillips gig was a little less sophisticated than Berkshares, for sure, and maybe even the Mauston business....

I couldn't fing an image of a Mauston Chamber Buck, so I thought this little logo image from their website would be better than nothing....... it's pretty cool, what with the rotating words and all.


So maybe I should reserve my opinion on how they rank. Here is a photo of some actual Phillips Chamber Bucks! Not as slick looking as the Berkshares, but what the hey.... The Berkshares can be purchased for 90% of their face value which traslates to a 10% discount when you spend them. Of course the local chain stores in the Berkshires don't accept them, so much the better for the local economy. In Phillps, they aren't sold at any discount, but used as gifts, prizes, etc, and help keep some business local.


Here is a good
article about a German alternative. This photos shows a quite classy looking currency, as are the Berkshares. Do you suppose counterfeit bills are being made of any of these???


And so much for the blizzard of the century!!! Not exactly what I would call a Wisconsin snowstorm.... but I guess it's been a slow snow year for the weather dudes and they had to make the most of it?



I wonder if this will be any more accurate? This is from John Dee's Snow Central. Mind you, I really am not complaining, it's time for the snow to go, IMHO.






_____________Hey, shovel that snow, would ya???_____________

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess it's better than "monopoly" money.I'm not surprised that the old ford still still functions.